My Health opt-out deadline extended after controversy

Sean Gallup  Getty Images

There were expectations the final opt-out figure would more than double to 10 per cent.

Until these changes pass the parliament, even if you later decide to cancel your My Health Record it will not be removed from the system.

Australians will have more time to opt out of the controversial My Health Record system after an extension was approved.

Health Minister Greg Hunt has so far rejected calls to extend the opt-out period beyond November 15. A corrupt medical practitioner or health employee could hack the system by pretending to be a legitimate user.

For those unsure of what to do, here are some things to consider. Six million already have the record and a further 300,000 opted in the past four months.

Around 17 million people were expected to be automatically enrolled.

You can also ask them not to upload sensitive data such as information on sexually transmitted diseases, abortion, mental illness or cosmetic surgery.

"There is widespread confusion surrounding the rollout of My Health Record", Phelps said on Wednesday morning.

Some doctors don't seem to have the capacity to add information to My Health Record?

Insurers and health insurers have been arguing they should get access to the record.

The privacy commissioner recommends checking regularly for unexpected or unauthorised access.

The Australian Digital Health Agency claimed it was "incorrect" that the website was down, saying both the site and the phone lines were "operational".

Brexit: Britain and European Union reach agreement on divorce draft deal
Australian stocks .AXJO fell 0.5 percent, South Korea's KOSPI .ks11 lost 0.2 percent and Japan's Nikkei .N225 added 0.3 percent. Sterling was last trading at $1.2999, up 0.22 percent on the day, with the euro up 0.23 percent to $1.1315. /gbp= .

There will be regular security audits of My Health Record but any documents downloaded or created by a doctor could also be stored on their local IT system and the security of this will depend on their system.

"From a technical point of view, there are access controls in place, however, the data itself, at this stage, is in plain format, it is not encrypted", he said.

You still have time to opt out, should you wish.

"People have not been given all the information they need on which to make an informed decision".

Even when data is de-identified, there's still a chance you could be linked to the record.

Yes, at the moment people's data can be taken for secondary use purposes, such as research.

The online system is failing to process requests to opt out, directing visitors to call the My Health Record hotline, only to put them on hold for 45 minutes at a time before those calls ultimately drop out.

There are concerns that domestic violence perpetrators may be able to use their access to their children's My Health Record to track down their partners who may be in hiding and fear for their safety. There is legislation under review that would increase these penalties to five years jail and a fine of $315,000. This could be unsafe if doctors rely on the record in an emergency situation. It should also prevent unnecessary duplication of blood and other tests.

Under the Healthcare Identifiers Act 2010 (the Act), specifically subsection 14 (2), healthcare providers can not use a healthcare identifier for employment and insurance purposes, and as a effect can not access an individual's MHR for such purposes.

"The government's implementation of the My Health Record has been a complete debacle from day one".

The system recently went into meltdown after Aussies rushed to opt-out. Forms will be available in 2385 rural and remote Australia Post outlets, through 146 Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations and in 136 prisons.

Related News:



Most liked

Steelers Raid Le'Veon Bell's Locker After Deadline Passes
Meanwhile, his former team is now riding a five game winning streak that has them sitting atop the AFC North with a 6-2-1 record. With Bell's career in Pittsburgh nearly certainly over, it appears his teammates have moved on as well.

New Full-Length Trailer for Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’ Soars to Greater Heights
Vandevere ( Michael Keaton ), who wants Dumbo for his upcoming entertainment venture, Dreamland, that might not be such a dream. The film also stars Alan Arki , Eva Green , Michael Keaton , Danny DeVito and Thandie Newton 's 13-year-old daughter Nico .

Yemen: Saudi-Backed Coalition Halts al-Hudaydah Offensive Under Western Pressure
The UN is pushing for peace talks to be held by the end of the year, which Sweden said it would be prepared to host. Both Houthis and Iran denied the accusation.

British PM battles for survival over Brexit deal
In his resignation letter, Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said that May's plan threatened the integrity of the UK. Her job had been to reach a deal with the European Union and bring it back to the House of Commons for a vote.

Kim Porter, who had three children with Diddy, dead at 47
Another source apparently added that Porter had contacted her doctor yesterday to complain that she still wasn't feeling better. According to brand new reports , Diddy's baby mama Kim Porter has passed away! Diddy and Porter have three children together.

UM Stays At No. 4 In Playoff Rankings
It's not as if Alabama would have a loaded resume, with victories against LSU , Mississippi State and Auburn at the top. ET: College Football Playoff semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl: No. 3 Notre Dame vs.

Saudi Crown Prince Exonerated In Khashoggi Murder, Says Prosecutor
After repeated denials, Turkish on Wednesday called for an global investigation into the case. Also named is Maher Mutreb, who was part of the crown prince's entourage on trips overseas .

Ranveer, Deepika are married, make it official with adorable pictures
The couple was surrounded by friends and family members dressed in white attires on the villa's famous patio overlooking the lake. We love how both have opted for traditional colour tone while choosing their outfits. "Lots of love, Deepika and Ranveer".

Chelsea among FIVE Premier League clubs facing transfer ban
Bertrand Traore's signing by the club is a part of the Federation Internationale de Football Association investigation as well. The reports added that Chelsea were also under investigation for signing 14 under-18 players since the signing of Traore.

Google outage pushed traffic through Russia, China and Nigeria
Naval War College and Tel Aviv University scholars says China systematically hijacks and diverts U.S. internet traffic. Google's search, cloud hosting and business tools were among the services disrupted for more than an hour Monday.

Opinions & Transfer NewsManchester United made favourites to land Marko Arnautovic
But there is still that feeling, that this can not be the end. "And everybody should understand that". But for a player like Marko this can not be the end, 'said Danijel Arnautovic .

Oil prices collapse as OPEC sees production outpacing demand
Both oil benchmarks are now trading firmly in bear market territory, having fallen more than 20 per cent from their 52-week highs. The crude price slide accelerated this week with USA futures suffering their steepest one-day loss in more than three years.

PM Modi arrives at Breakfast Summit with ASEAN leaders
Koh said also that many of his counterparts in Southeast Asia were uneasy about the United States' Indo-Pacific strategy, whose primary aim was to contain China.

Blake Snell, Jacob deGrom named Cy Young Award winners
Roger Clemens had pitched in 69 when he won in 1986 for Boston; Vida Blue in 57 when he won in 1971 for Oakland. His 180 2/3 innings are the fewest for a Cy Young-winning starting pitcher in a nonstrike season.

Congressman Thompson speaks out on Hyde-Smith hanging comments
If he defeats Hyde-Smith, he would be the first African-American since Reconstruction to represent the state in the U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith joins President Donald Trump onstage at a campaign rally in Southaven, Miss., Oct. 2, 2018.